‘I fell in love with my colleague & we broke up a few months ago. He is now seeing someone else at office & I’m unable to tolerate it. It’s bothering me so much that my performance is going down. What should I do?’ – received this message from a marketing professional.
Well, I would start off by saying that dating at the office and office romance is a strict NO. No matter how tempting it seems, office romance could get really complicated & awkward. It has the potential to ruin both your career & personal life.
Having said that, try these tips to come out of it successfully:
1. Don’t let your breakup become an excuse for poor performance. It’s a mind game. Don’t give up.
2. Focus on work. Get busy working & become result oriented, more than before. This is the best distraction.
3. Don’t give details to your colleagues or pay heed to gossips. Don’t break down in front of them.
4. Minimise interaction with your ex. Keep it strictly about work.
5. Don’t try to take revenge. In any case, remember-success is the best revenge by default. So focus on work.
6. If things don’t improve, try changing your department or team.
If nothing works, you may have to look for another job.
It’s not going to be easy, but you will prevail. All the best!